Re: mk1 bumper covers and smoking taillights

--- Kris Rayner <veritech@fix.net> wrote:
> I'm thinking about painting my bumpers on my mk1 with black vinyl
> paint while I have them off of my car. Do any of you have experiece
> doing this? how did you prep the surface? and how many coats did
> you do?

 Well, I just did this to my front bumper on my 81...I used a special
paint for bumpers by SEM (code 39083) called "bumper coater."  Overall
seems to do the job nicely.  Definitely gives back the nice black look!
I washed the cover really good with soap and water and then lightly sanded
with 400 grit and then sprayed on two *thin coats.  I say thin because in
one section I sprayed a little too heavy and it gives a runny look...so
only spray on a thin coat at a time!

> I'm getting everything all cleaned up, or darkened up as the case
> may be for my bumpers, before the ND show rolls around.
> BTW, was it just a spray model tint that you guys have used to
> smoke the rear and corner lights? should I lightly rough up the
> lights with a fine sandpaper?

 I smoked the tail lights using "Nite Shades" which I remember ordering
from Summit Racing.  This again took only two thin coats and looks very
nice IMHO...too many coats will make them extremely dark!  They don't
appear to be dark while they are drying, but wait until they completely
dry and you will like it!
 Is there a modelers transparent paint or something that works good also?

HTH

=====