Classic Car Insurance for Sciroccos

This is pretty much the standard for classic auto insurance. I checked into it
for my '74 Thing but the restrictions are really tough and if you violate them
in any way they simply will not pay you if you get any damage.

Depending on which insurance company you use there are different restrictions.
I was looking at one policy by progressive that was REALLY strict. Not only
could the car being insured not be your only or primary car, it can not even
be your secondary car. This means you can not drive it to work as a backup
vehicle if your primary vehicle is damaged. In addition to this, you must
store the car in a LOCKED garage and give the insurance company the address of
this locked garage for possible inspection. If the car is to leave this locked
garage, you can never leave it stopped or parked ANYWHERE. You as the only
driver allowed to drive the car are to remain with the car at all times when
it is not in the listed locked garage. That's right, you can not leave the car
unattended any any time. This means that it can only be stolen from the locked
garage at the address they have on file or someone carjacks you while you are
with the car. This is why the policy from Progressive was only $189.00 a year
for me (at the time I was 21).

There are positives and negatives with each and every policy, do take note of
them when you sign the contract and be prepared to abide by them, OR ELSE!!!!

-Marc

Jan Folkson wrote:
> Just did a little insurance research, based on Rich Deede's situation.
> There's a company in CT that insures classic or collectable cars for an
> appraised or collectable value.  They have 3 categories: Off body
> restoration, showroom condition, or not quite showroom condition.  For '86
> Sciroccos, they are valued at $6,000, $4,250, and $2,300 respectively and
> can be appraised higher.  I'm not sure where modified would come in.  They
> also only allow up to 3,000 miles per year, so daily drivers are out, and
> nobody under 26 years old can be the driver.  But here's the kicker it's
> only $343.00 per year for full coverage with collision, comprehensive etc.
> For cars under 15 years old there is a $1,000 deductible, for cars older
> than 15 there is none (for the same premium).  Also it can't be your only
> car, must be garaged and there must be a car newer than 10 years old in your
> household (why, I have no idea).
> The name of the place is Northeast Classic, and their phone is 800-397-0765.

'74 VW Thing http://getty.net/thing/ http://vwthing.org/
'81 VW Jetta Diesel gone to the scrap heap after 178,000 miles
'84 VW Jetta GLi SLC _SOLD_ with only 164,275 miles, moved to NJ
'87 VW Scirocco Red 16 Valve with 165,100 Miles, just got it on 7/2/99