Re: New addition: 1981 S!

--- Kareem E Baddour <6keb1@qlink.queensu.ca> wrote:
> I finally bought my first Mk1 recently
> and baptized it w/ scirocco.org membership.
> It was the silver '81 S that I looked at 2 weeks
> ago (thanks to the bank of montreal for their
> "Brain Money" line of credit for students)

CONGRATULATIONS!

> Anyways, quick question:
> did some or all S's come w/ a rear
> sway bar?? None had a front bar, right?

> My car doesn't have a rear sway, but the
> rear axle has the requisite mounting holes
> but that may have been replaced by PO.

No U.S. MK1 Sciroccos came with sway bars (front or
rear). Yes, 1981 Sciroccos (I have only looked at 1981
"S" models) came with the holes on the rear "axle" -
but no bar.

As a bonus, VW re-routed the fuel lines in 1981 so
that they won't interfere with the front sway bar
bracket (which holds the back of the control arm in
place).

Prior to 1981 on U.S. models (and this used to really
piss me off), VW routed the fuel lines on the
passenger side such that you had to bend or move the
fuel lines in order to install a sway bar bracket
equiped rear control arm bracket. Also, on pre-1981
Sciroccos, you had to drill the holes for the rear bar
. . .

> Don't tell my 16v, but I prefer the looks
> of the Mk1 ;)

Me too!

=====
Mark Peele
1981 Scirocco, 1982 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
http://home.t-online.de/home/Scirocco2/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
Free: Dual outlet A1 manifold - nds studs (in MD)