From: Elias Glavinas [mailto:eg1@cec.wustl.edu]
Sent: Sunday, September 19, 1999 4:09 AM
Cc: scirocco list
Subject: 16V questions: valve cover gasket, oil pressure, etc.

Ok, I finally got the red 86 16V and spent all day today cleaning it (I
actually found alive organiss in the car) and doing minor things.

** The valve cover gasket leaks oil into one of the spark plugs. Granted,
I have to remove the intake manifold to get to the gasket, it still looks
like a very straightforward operation: remove nuts/bolts on front and rear
side of manifold, disconnect tube that goes to the air filter, and
manifold is off. Would somebody please tell me if I am horribly mistaken
and it is not as simple? Then, I suppose I will simply have to remove the
cover, and not mess with anything else, such as spark plugs, correct? Do I
need any other pieces besides the valve cover gasket and the gasket
between the upper and lower manifold?

** Looking around the engine to locate the oil pressure sending unit, it
seemed to me that it was on the driver side of the engine, and that it is
completely different from the sending unit in 8V engines, with a
wire-c-clip connector hooked to the unit. Was I indeed looking at the
pressure sender or something else?

** In my 8V when I changed my alternator the alt. light in the dash did
not go out when starting the engine until about 2000rpm. Then I looked
again and saw that I had forgotten to connect the thin wire that comes
from the positive terminal harness and goes to the alternator. Same thing
happens in the 16V, so I thought: "ah! I know how to fix this!". I traced
the same wire to the alternator, and it was not making good contact.
Cleaned it, put it back on (actually, while in the 8V alt. the wire
slid over a protruding flat contact, in the 16v alt. the wire terminates
in an o-connector which screws on the alt., I don't know if that is the
proper configuration, or if somebody messed with it), but the
problem remains. Any ideas as to what other thing could be causing this?

Thanks,

Elias