Rich's Rocco Crash - Advise

I don't have any advise on how to get anything out of your insurance company,
but I do have some advise to give you so that your insurance company does not
screw you over:

Make sure that the accident report says the word "stopped" in it. If it does
not you will still be held partially at fault by your insurance company. As
ridiculous as it seems the only way to not have any fault is to be stopped. If
you are in a moving vehicle and someone hits you then you are partially at
fault in the eyes of the insurance company. Their philosophy is that you must
be in complete control of your vehicle at all times and that all accidents can
be avoided unless your car is stopped or parked. Note that parked has a
completely different meaning in insurance lingo, but don't worry about it in
this case.

If what you state in the story below is true and the police officer describes
you as "stopped" in the accident report your insurance company can not legally
raise your rates. The same goes for the person that was in front of you,
she/he would also be seen as having no fault at all by their insurance company
if they are described as stopped in the accident report.

Insurance companies are very very tricky as you well may know. If you don't
know how to play their little game then you can be stepped on by them quite
easily. Know the rules and play their game and it can be a fair fight.

-Marc

> Today was the first day that I drove my car in a month and guess what
> happens! I got in to an accident.  Sitting in traffic minding my business,
> next thing I know Im rear ended and I slide and hit the guy in front of
> me.  The lady who hit my was 65 years old and never even hit the brakes.
> Let me just say that I have got some damage.  Rear euro bumoer is trashed,
> rear valence of the body kit is bent, A HUGE gash in the metal right above
> the bumper but right below the liscence plate area.  Front euro bumper is
> trashed, hood is all bent in, euro-lights are bent inward.Kamei grill is
> done, grill spoiler is done.
> Passenger side door now has to be lifted up to close properly(frame
> damage?). there is some kind of clunking from the right side front. I
> didn't want to open the hood in fear of not being able to shut it. The
> other two cars were barely hurt.  I was hit so hard that the ashtray flew
> out and landed behind the shifter.  ARGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!   The
> old lady was issued a ticket for careless driving as it was clearly her
> fault.
> Im afraid that Im not going to get reimbursed for the euro bumpers and
> lights as I got them used and have no receipts. What should I do?? Im also
> afraid that the damage might be enough that they'll want to total the car,
> and that just isn't happening...not again. Any advice on what I should do
> would be greatly appreciated.

'74 VW Thing, Beige For Sale at: http://getty.net/thing/ in Philly PA
'81 VW Jetta Diesel gone to the scrap heap after 178,000 miles
'84 VW Jetta GLi SLC with only 164,275 miles
'87 VW Scirocco Red 16 Valve with 165,100 Miles, just got it on 7/2/99