Installing Oil Cooler

I 'attempted' to install a 'sandwich' oil cooler in my 84 Rabbit with a 1.8
motor and I failed.  Actually, I failed miserably.  I've never seen one put
together and my Bentley doesn't detail it for me.  It looks as though a
straight procedure BUT.....it leaks terribly between the sandwich and the
oil flange which bolts onto the block.  Is there a gasket which belongs
there?  Must I tighten the nut really, really tight.  What's up with this.
I got everything together today.  Put fresh cooolant and fresh oil
(thankfully, I didn't decide to switch to synthetic today).  I was afraid
of having some coolant leaking but that was okay.  Unfortunately, I lost
practically all the oil.  Can anyone tell me what I did wrong or what I
must correct.  BTW, what size is that nut anyways?  Thanks

Sal