Oil Pan Replacement

> I had a run in with a curb last week and need to know where can I get a low
> cost (good quality) oil pan. The current one is dented severely near the oil
> pick-up and leaks baddd.....help!!!!!!?????
> BTW......the car has tooo many miles to go with the performance aluminum,
> baffeled, windage tray, gain boocoo HP oil pans that most places sell.
> --Rob 1984 8v 1.8L Wolfsburg Edition

If you don't want to go through the hassle of changing the pan, or if you are
a starving student and don't have the money, you can rig the pan to stop
leaking if you want to. Back when I was a poor college student I did a quick
fix to the pan of my diesel jetta.

Get a lot of epoxy, say 12 fluid ounces or so, use the thick paste kind or
else it won't work. Mix up the epoxy and put it on a paper plate, place the
plate with all of the epoxy on it on the center of a hydraulic floor jack and
then jack the mix up towards the crack/hole in the oil pan.

Lift the car up a little bit with the floor jack from the oil pan with the
epoxy on plate mix on top of the floor jack. Regardless if the pan is still
leaking out oil or not this will work. I was loosing oil at about 1 quart
every 2-3 minutes when I did this operation to my diesel jetta.

Let it dry overnight and remove the floor jack from under the car. Use a knife
to cut away any excess epoxy blocking the drain plug. This should easily last
the life of the car!

Remember, buy a replacement oil pan if you can afford it and have the time to
swap it out, otherwise rig it cheep!

-Marc

'74 VW Thing, Beige For Sale at: http://getty.net/thing/ in Philly PA
'81 VW Jetta Diesel gone to the scrap heap after 178,000 miles
'84 VW Jetta GLi SLC with only 164,275 miles
'87 VW Scirocco Red 16 Valve with 165,100 Miles, just got it on 7/2/99