Re: oil cooler/oil heat exchanger combo?

The stock exchanger cools the oil when the coolant is colder than the oil -and
can only bring it down to that same temperature at best. It obviously can't bring
it down any lower. Considering that the coolant in your radiator is almost
boiling when your car gets hot, I can't agree that the oil will never get up to
the proper operating temperature.

And remember, the cooler mount that I've got is *thermostatted*. It should start
coming on somewhere around just beyond ideal temp. My theory is that the
combination will give quickest warm up and then a stable operating temperature.

Comments, anyone?

JLuk77@aol.com wrote:

> The stock oil heat exchanger actually cools the oil.  that is why it is there
> so you will actually be cooling the oil twice and never get up to temp.  not
> a good idea in my book.  Bu ti am sure some one will disagree with me.
> Josh Lukasik
> 88 16v 2.0

Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut