Re: [gti-vr6] chip article - new C&D

At 10:02 AM 9/3/99 -0700, you wrote:
>josephname@scg-inc.com wrote:
>
>> I think the slant is probably to discourage Americans from unleashing their
>> cars potential.  The reporters don't have to 'fudge' any numbers at all.
>> They only have to report on the chip manufacturers that don't have quality
>> products.
>
>I dunno about that, Dinan, Superchips and Autothority are somewhat
"household"
>names in the chip tuning arena.. and they *all* sucked gas.  Slant?  This was
>all backed up with dyno numbers.  Did they actually falsify the numbers?  I'd
>find that hard to believe.. they could be sued big-time if they couldn't
>back up what they'd found..

 Huh? Slant? If anything, Car & Driver would want to highlight the chips
strengths, so that they can get the chip makers advertising dollars, and
also so that the next time they have a need for the chips, they can get
one. That is how the aftermarket industry works. If C&D were to try to have
a slant, they wouldn't produce the dyno sheets which show little gains.
Instead, they would either show some data that did show gains, or grade
them subjectively("This thing really felt alot stronger than stock"). It
sounds as though C&D was trying to do a subjective test, although I haven't
seenthe article? Did they also show some acceleration runs in gear on the
road, maybe 50-70mph, or something like that?

Brad