Scirocco Top Speed?

> I apologize for the fish story analogy.  I meant to be jocular but I
> unintentionally suggested you were exaggerating when you were clearly
> reporting accurately what you saw.

No problem, I was not offended, I just wanted to set the record straight.

> The main point I was making is that an indicated speedometer mph is not
> necessarily your true mph.  Even if your speedo's accurate at lower speeds,
> that's not to say it's accurate at higher speeds.  Other factors come into
> play at higher speeds as well, such as the fact that tyres run hotter at
> higher speeds and expand.  You can test this by feeling your tyre

If my tires expand when hot, then the circumference increases, correct?

If the circumference increases then the distance traveled per
revolution increases, correct?

Speed is measured as a product of revolutions per minute multiplied by typical
tire circumference. As the circumference increases then the distance traveled
per revolution increases then the actual distance traveled is under reported,
correct?

> http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/9626/index.htm.  It's very unusual,
> thought not impossible,  for an engine to retain all its power to 255,000
> miles.  Most drop 5% to 10% because of the increased wear and tear resulting
> in bigger tolerances.  And once you start reaching speeds of 125mph, you
> need a lot more horsepower for each additional mph as the car's aerodynamic
> drag is a square function of its speed.

You must have me confused with someone else. I have 165,100 on my car and zero
alterations.

-Marc

'74 VW Thing - http://getty.net/thing/ FORSALE in Philly!
'81 Jetta Diesel gone to the scrap heap after 178,000 miles
'84 Jetta GLi SLC with only 164,275 miles
'87 Scirocco 16V with 164,000 Miles, just got it on 7/2/99