Re: good eng. for Mk1

-- Nathan Malone <nmalone@sumagroup.com> wrote:
> Hey guys,
> I have a little enquirery for you veterans.
> In a few months I am going to add to
> my Rocc collection (soon to be a grand selection)
> and purchase an Mk1 from a guy I used to
> work with.The car itself is superbly clean,
> with a straight body, no rust, dents, or anything,
> naturally you can imagine my exitement.

Yeah!

> Then we come to the eng. It is the orig.
> 1.6L and has well over 200k on it.

If it is a 1.6, then I assume it is a 1976, 1977, 1979
or a 1980 Scirocco . . . (1975 & 1978 were 1.5, 1981
is 1.7)

> The owner has taken great care of it, but
> it is still on its last legs (understandable).
> Here we come to the question.
> As I retire the 1.6, and get ready to
> put a new eng in it, I am wondering
> what would be the best choice
> in your guyses opinion.
> Here are my requirements:
> -I am looking for speed, speed, speed.
> -My budget will most likely be aroud 2k
>  maybe alittle more but not much.
> -something that will be easy to add mods to in the
> future.

Are you doing the work or will you pay someone?

> -I am no stranger to modifieing eng. compartments
>  but I want to keep this one mainly uncut and
> unwelded.

I would recommend the 2.0 16V for that budget range -
see below . . .

> I know some of you like your 2.0's and I have had
> only good experiences with 1.8's, and then I have
> seen a VR6 in a Mk1 rocc (on the site) but I imagine
> that would need alot of mods in the eng.
> compartment.

I would stay away from the VR6 in a Scirocco. 1st, you
have to fabricate motor mounts. Secondly and more
importantly to me is that the weight of the VR6 will
totally screw up the handling of the car (not to
mention the twisting of the chassis by so much
torque).

> Is it such a step up to go from 8v to 16v, or can
> this me made up for by a few minor mods on a 8v.

16V swaps are relatively easy these days. The parts
can be had easily as well.

> I heard you guys talking about some high powered
> audi engines, are these a straight swap, or would I
> need to change mounts?

This would be the Audi/VW 1.8T - a great motor (200+
hp easily) , but outside of your budget range :-(

=====
Mark Peele
1981 Scirocco, 1982 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
http://home.t-online.de/home/Scirocco2/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM