Whoa! How do I stop this Crazy Thing!

Hi All,

A couple of months ago I bought a very nice 86 8 valve scirocco. This was
after years of driving my 77 scirocco.  It has been an unusually dry Fall
up here in Oregon & I'd not driven the new car in a hard rain on the
freeway until today.  With the experience of my old scirocco in mind I
braked with plenty of room in front of me.  Guess what? the thing barely
even slowed down.  I know the problem is a build up of water on the
rotors and that by tapping the brakes repeatedly I can clear the pads and
rotors of water and come to a stop.  My old scirocco had the same problem
with pooled water on the freeway.  I got the impression that this problem
started after a brake job when I incorrectly installed the "rain guard".
I was quite suprised to find the new car has the same problem. Is there
supposed to be a rain guard on later model cars? I can see and touch
the rotors through the custom wheels on the 86.  I've thought about it
decided that adjusting the Rear Drums to tolerence is the best I can do.
Is there a type of pad that works better in the rain?  Will adjusting the
Drums help?  Tapping the brakes until the water clears works but is often
not an option in high speed dense traffic.

Any experience or advice is appriciated.

Gotta love these Cars

Ron

86 & 77 (Living at Brothers house) Scirocco's