Re: 5 cyl TDI(was...Re: VW & Toyota)

With power cell systems there are no need for batteries, besides one
deep cycle one...thats it.  Power cells generate electricity by converting
hydrogen to heat, electons and good old H2O.  So you would still need a
source of hydrogen, like natural gas, but you would get the equivalent of
100-150 miles per gallon.  Power cells are currently advanced enough to
fit in the same space as the current motor and provide enough electricity
to power an entire house, or several high power electric motors :-)

So you really won't need anymore room depending on design of the electric
motor, if it is a single one that mates to the stock tranny or having
separate motors that drive the wheels directly.  And of course you'd have
to replace your gas tank with a high pressure LPG(liquid petroleum gas)
tank and of course the filler hole would have a totally different
mechanism.

Eric