Re: Door Handle Fix needed quick!

You may be able to remove the handle, clean and re-grease it and reinstall
it to solve the problem.  Handle removal is fairly straightforward -
remove the trim clip (it preis off with a sharp knife or small
screwdriver).  Remove the #2 phillips screw that holds the front
(non-trigger) of the handle to the door.  Use a good screwdriver, and
clean the recesses of the screw with a sharp object if necessary to get
the screwdriver to seat.  If the screw is buggered  you can drill the head
and remove it after the handle is off with vicegrips.  The other screw is
a #1 phillips located on the inside edge of the door at the same level as
the trigger.  Once the screws are out you can slide the handle towards the
front of the car and pull it out of the door.

Use a mild solvent (or WD40 - you don't want to marr the plastic on the
handle) clean the solidified goo off the handle until it moves freely
(this may take a while).  Inspect all moving parts for cracks, and ditch
it if there are any.  Once the handle is clean and moving freely, grease
all moving parts and contact surfaces of the handle's mechanism.  Choose
your grease carefully - you want to avoid gelling or hardening (especially
a problem in cold weather!) I have good luck with a gold-coloured brake
paste which is designed to remain greasy but not fluid throughout a fairly
wide temperature range.

Installation is the reverse of removal. (Thanks Robert Bentley!)

If your handle is really buggered, swing by Guelph when you're in Toronto
and I'll give you a replacement... :) Seriously, they're not hard to
replace and shouldn't cost more that $20 at the dealer.  Replacements can
come from A1 or A2 cars at a pick-your-part.  Swapping the lock entails
removing the screw at the back of the cylinder, inserting the key in the
lock, and drawing the cylinder out.  INstallation is R of R, but mind that
the little return spring gets back where it belongs if it flies off on
you.

Hope this info helps.

Drew

On Wed, 20 Oct 1999 XXSpArCoXx@aol.com wrote:

>     OK I have an odd one. My Driver side door handle doesn't work anymore.
> The inside one works but the outside doesn't pull enough to let the door
> open. Now it usually wouldn't bother me so much but my passenger side doors
> tumbler decided not to work as well. Leaving the trunk left. Its getting cold
> and I don't want to end up locked out of the car in the cold.
>
>     Anyone have a fix for the tumbler or the outer door latch that doesn't
> involve getting new pieces fitted to the car. Leaving for Toronto on Thursday
> night with the Rocco and need the doors to work right.
>
>     Thanks
> ~Danny~
> 88 16v

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca