Electrical Solution (long)

Hi all,
    Here is some info on intermittent fuel type
problems that people have been having, and possible
other electrical type problems keeping your sweet
VW from running.  A friend of mine sent me this info
after his breakdown.  It's long but worth a read.

Moral of the story: Always check the fuse box for
corrosion on all the terminals.

-Emile Draper>'80 'rocco

Subject: A8
  No, this is not the screamin' machine from Audi.
Instead it is the pin connector in the fuse box that
you should look at because it affects the operation of
a certain important component of your 'Rocco.  Namely
the fuel pump.  You know all the trouble I'd been
having with the intermittent operation of my fuel
pump?  and I thought that it was with the pump relay,
signal wire from the coil that powered the relay, or
the connector sockets the relay plugged into?  Well
for the past couple of weeks my car had been
acting up more and more where the pump would cut out
for a second or so. It became more and more often
until it finally died for good in agrocery store
parking lot, thankfully not on the freeway.  The
bypass wire had no effect so I decided it hadn't been
doing anything all along.  It was latein the
afternoon, I went home and called Doug at Bow Wow and
asked him what the symptoms were when a fuel pump went
bad.  He said they usually don't die while running,
but instead fail to operate when starting the car. He
went on to say they usually replace the 'A8' wire and
female connector in the wire bundle that plugs into
the back of the fuse box because they are prone to
corrosion.  I decided to replace the existing box with
the one I bought from you, however upon later
inspection I noticed that mine was actually new
with no signs of corrosion anywhere except at pin A8.
After swapping boxes the Rabid Rabbit started an ran
without problems and I determined that this must have
been from the relatively clean pin on the box I bought
from you and that the intermittent pump action was due
to corrosion on A8. Sure enough, when I inspected my
old box upon returning home I noticed all but A8 and
one other pin were bright and shiny, while the bad pin
was dark grey. So corrosion had occured even with
dielectric grease, must have been encouraged by high
current draw.  I noted the number of the other dirty
pin and located it in the wiring schematic, hmmm, that
one belonged to the left low beam, the light that had
gone out and worked again once I disconnected
and reconnected the plug behind the fuse box.

  Anyway, I remember you had an instance of bad fuel
pump behavior,check out pin A8 and I wouldn't be
suprised if it was a bit corroded.  Of course it would
be best to polish up the male pin and replace the wire
and socket common to the wire bundle.

=====