Re: Hi there!

--- T Berk <tberk@mindspring.com> wrote:
> Scirocco Boy wrote:
> >
> > Hi, i'm Brian.  I'm really new here, and i'm looking
> for help.  I just bought
> > an 81 Scirocco, and i need help.  I'm really poor
> (college student) and need
> > ideas for little cheap things that I can do to make my
> car's performance pick
> > up.  I'd love some suggestions, please respond or send
> some email to me!
> > Thanks!  I wait your response...
> >   --Brian--
>
> Hey yerself!
>
> Number One would be to return this older car to a good
> state of tune.
> Plugs, rotor/cap, vacuum lines, clean out the gas lines/
> injectors w/
> some good Chevron Techroline or Redline detergent. Swap
> out that fuel
> filter after all that junk gets purged. Forget FRAM
> filters , go with
> Mann and/or Bosch parts, don't scrimp. Consider a
> replacement air
> filter; (what the h*ll are those oil charged filter
> called- they are
> kissing on Voyager reruns right now and I can't remember
> what's in my
> own car. Humph, now Jack is talking to his wife on the
> phone and it's
> time for him to leave the box and get Home, Pronto.
> <sigh>)
>
> Anyway, get the puppy to a good trustworthy shop and have
> them dial in
> the idle and fuel to air ratio with the big gas analyzer.
> Make sure your
> O2 sensor is 'putting out', heh, heh.
>
> All this sounds boring, right? Right. But it needs doing
> and _will_ work
> to the bottom line; More POWER, <grunt>, <grunt>,
> <grunt>. Down the road
> will come talk of engine swaps, suspension mods, later
> model donor
> mobiles, etc. For now tighten it up because it returns a
> great deal,
> bang for the buck wise.
>

> Contact the Potterman, <http://www.parts4vws.com> , he
> will have what
> you need. Much more is available than you'll see on the
> site.
>
> hth,
> TBerk
> "There is no BEST year, but I have an '81'" ;)

Welcome to the list Brian!  Where 'bouts you located?  I'd
agree with TBerk as well, get the car good and tuned up and
go from there.  In addition to the K&N air filter, you
could also install a larger diameter airflow sensor plate
from an '84 GTI or 1.8 ('83.5 & up) Scirocco - rumoured to
be worth a couple hp as well.  Does the car have a/c?  If
so, does it actually work?  (I know I'm stretching here!)
If not, you *might* consider removing the system altogether
to save a lot of weight - almost like adding hp.  You'll
need to get all the right pulley's, but thats about it.
Again, give Mike Potter a call.

There's other stuff to be done for sure, but start with the
basics and keep us updated!

=====
Daun Yeagley
'79 Scirocco
'81 Rabbit Pickup
'85 Scirocco 8v
'88 Scirocco 16v
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."  - Dave Barry