Re: Hi there!

Scirocco Boy wrote:

> Hi, i'm Brian.  I'm really new here, and i'm looking for help.  I just bought
> an 81 Scirocco, and i need help.  I'm really poor (college student) and need
> ideas for little cheap things that I can do to make my car's performance pick
> up.  I'd love some suggestions, please respond or send some email to me!
> Thanks!  I wait your response...
>   --Brian--

Hey yerself!

Number One would be to return this older car to a good state of tune.
Plugs, rotor/cap, vacuum lines, clean out the gas lines/ injectors w/
some good Chevron Techroline or Redline detergent. Swap out that fuel
filter after all that junk gets purged. Forget FRAM filters , go with
Mann and/or Bosch parts, don't scrimp. Consider a replacement air
filter; (what the h*ll are those oil charged filter called- they are
kissing on Voyager reruns right now and I can't remember what's in my
own car. Humph, now Jack is talking to his wife on the phone and it's
time for him to leave the box and get Home, Pronto. <sigh>)

Anyway, get the puppy to a good trustworthy shop and have them dial in
the idle and fuel to air ratio with the big gas analyzer. Make sure your
O2 sensor is 'putting out', heh, heh.

All this sounds boring, right? Right. But it needs doing and _will_ work
will come talk of engine swaps, suspension mods, later model donor
mobiles, etc. For now tighten it up because it returns a great deal,
bang for the buck wise.

Contact the Potterman, <http://www.parts4vws.com> , he will have what
you need. Much more is available than you'll see on the site.

hth,
TBerk
"There is no BEST year, but I have an '81'" ;)