Re: Alternate Alt. wireing?

VWN8@aol.com wrote:

> I removed my stock intrument cluster for aftermarket guages. However, I
> encountered a problem. The little alternator warning light actually acts as a
> kind of switch to turn on the alt. after the engine has exceeded 2000rpm for
> the first time.  Problem is that without the instrument cluster it wont turn
> on at all! So I need to find another way to wire it up. Has anyone done this
> or have any ideas?
>
> Nate

Natley One,

The bulb acts as a resistive load. When there is enough Alt output the
bulb gets no backwash and stays out. When the Alt is off line (car
stalls) the battery 'backwashes' energy through the light because now IT
is the path of least resistance. I have seen folks run without a dash
(but this will run the battery down after awhile) but the real answer is
to substitute a resistor in place of the light.

Even better would be to remove the light and it's wirering and graft it
into the new, improved dash.

TBerk
Sorry, I don't know the R value.  :(