I think I might have this '81 16v licked.

<x-flowed>Well, I hope.

*Brian, if you're not busy, I'm working outside. 203-734-4380 (the
portable)

Ok. Let's forget about the fact that it has the 16v in there right now.

Back this past spring (with CIS 1.7l 8v in car), it came down with this odd
problem.

The car would only start if the gas was floored. At that point, it would run
very rough while my foot was on the pedal. As soon as I let revs get under
2000rpm, it would stall. It wouldn't sputter, or kick, but instantaneously
stall.

I checked the coil, ICU, wires, Hall sender, this that, you name it. All
components tested good.

Later that day, it stopped starting altogether.

Around that time, I found a good 16v engine to plop in there, so I said
adios to the 8v and began a project.

Advance to present day:

1.8l 16v hooked up correctly, but car won't start.

I was putzing around, and, for laughs, I tried starting it with giving it
gas (I know it's FI and it shouldn't make a damn difference). Well, instead
of just cranking like it always had, it sputtered a couple times and went
back to its usual cranking antics.

Tried it again, and it sputtered again (sounded like there was spark getting
in the cylinder). This time, the tach jumped a bit.

I know for a fact that all the components that are in my Scirocco ran just
fine when they were in the Jetta (I drove it home just fine), and I also did
electrical tests on all fuel injection and ignition components and they
checked out Ok.

The coil's definatley good, and I get a good +12V at it. ICU and Hall sender
work perfectly.

If I jumper the fuel pump, it runs. There's fuel in the filter right before
the distributor.

This car's goin DOWN today!

DAMN.

-Dave