'81 16v wiring - the ongoing saga

<x-flowed>Ok.. again... regarding my '81 16v swap...

Have I beaten this thread to a pulp yet?

No? Good.

Ok. I'm going to be working on this thing Monday, and I need to know which
direction to go in.

I need to know the correct way I should be hooking up the coil to the
starter (terminal 15a) to the fuse box to the CIS-E brain.

The way the Scirocco bentley tells me to do it is (actually, 1981 Jetta as
the Scirocco diagram doesn't list any O2, or ICU equipment):

Positive power (#15) comes out of the fuse box directly to terminal #15 of
the coil. A wire leaves there to go to terminal #4 on the Ignition Control
Unit.

Negative power (terminal #1 on the coil) comes right from the fuse box and
within the fuse box, passes through the fuel pump relay (I've tried a few
relays..no dice), and back out to the tach. Another wire goes right to
terminal #1 on the ICU.

A wire leaves the ICU right to battery negative to ground the system.

Nowhere in the '81 diagrams does it mention terminal #15a on the starter.

NOW, I'm using the stock CIS-E system from an '89 GLI 16v in this car.

This is how the Jetta's Bentley tells me to hook the coil up:

The coil gets #15 power right from the fuse box, and then a wire leaves
there to go to the idle stabilizer, which in turn goes into the big CIS-E
brain. Another wire leaves the coil to go the ICU.

The coil is grounded (#1) by the ICU. Another wire leaves the coil at
terminal #1 to go into the fuse box to be used by an unidentified device
(3?) (I'll assume the tach).

The ignition control unit is grounded right to the battery.

Does the coil's operation solely depend on the ICU's output? I assume the
CIS-E and Knock sensor brains transfer information from #12 on the CIS-E
brain to #6 on the ICU regarding timing.

On my new starter (from the Jetta, too) what is the signifigance of terminal
#15? #30 is the main power (big ass wire), and #50 is the trigger wire, but
I can't figure out what the purpose of #15 (or #15a..whatever) is.

I'm gonna tackle this car Monday big time in honor of Chris Columbus. Yeah.
Right.

-Dave (feeling recharged and patriotic)
'81 Scirocco 16v (which with lots of luck, good advice, and good music
will be fixed shortly)