Exhaust manifold bolts

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Attempting to remove the exhaust manifold from the head, I cannot get the
bottom row of nuts to break loose. The wrench or socket keeps walking off
the edge and threatening to round the nut off.

  Is there room physically to remove the head with the exhaust manifold
attached? At least that way I would have an unobstructed shot at the nuts.

I was careful to use six-sided tools and a couple of days treatment with
penetrating oil prior to minimize the risk to the nuts but even this doesn't
seem to be helping. I have until Monday morning to get the head swapped in
and this is not where I like to be stopped.

Thanks for the help.

Christian
87 16V
83 GTi