Need help diagnosing hard start problem

Hi,

I have a 16V with a 2.0 bottom end with factory fuel and ignition system.

First thing in the morning, I breath on the key, and it starts.

I stop for coffee (10 minutes from home) and it cranks over for about 1 second before it starts.

I get to school (45 minutes) leave it, have 2-3 hours of class, leave school and it cranks over for about six or seven seconds ( 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi, 3 Mississippi...).

While running, it's perfectly normal.  The only thing I notice may be off is fuel economy.  It seems like I'm using more fuel than normal.   My odometer is broken (who's isn't?) and I have a really poor rememmory so don't put much weight in the fuel use thing.

I replaced both fuel pumps over the summer, as well as my starter and battery/battery wires.  I put a coil a fuel filter and plugs/wires in the summer before that.

This has happened every day this week, and I'm not sure what's not right.

Thanks for scratching your head for me,

Dan B
http://www.hobbyetc.com/scirocco