Re: lightened flywheel

On Wed, 06 Oct 1999 09:08:03 -0400 "Victor Farren" <vfarren@rrs.cdie.org>
writes:
>I have heard that lightened flywheels can 'chatter' at high rpms.  If
>so I can see this being annoying, but if it doesn't affect perfermance
>and you don't mind, then no big deal.
>
>So, to all you people w/ lightened flywheels, does it indeed chatter,
>or vibrate at high rpms?

Only if it hasnt been ballanced.
Im pretty sure mine was ballanced. At my last autox I was staged to run
when, for whatever reason, the flagman holds the green flag on my
windshield and counts down 5-4-3. So I hold my foot to the floor
bounching it off the (6,700 rpms) rev limiter (ALA grand Tourismo mode)
and when he gets to "1" I dump the clutch and immediately smoke the
slicks I had mounted on all 4 corners. I was trying to get some heat into
the tires. <snicker>
But the whole time it was up there in the revs, it was smooth (As smooth
as can be with the rev limiter active.) and without vibration or,
"chatter".

Get it ballanced and you will be fine.

(13X8's & Hoosiers get here Thursday! Thanks Brett!!)

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and