Re: K-star (was Hot MKI article)

I originally got mine fitted as leaded petrol is to be faded out in Jan 2000 and
the minimum octane rating for the engine is 98. This meant using 98 octance
unleaded which is 82p (US$1.32) a litre.
So i wanted mine converted to run on 95 octane which is cheaper. The only way
round this was to adjust the timing giving a major loss of power so i
investigated K-star.
It comes in two components
1) timing adjustments and
2) fuel mapping
I have elected to have the timing option only as mine does not develop enough
power (only 129bhp @ flywheel) for the fuel mapping which is recommended at
150bhp +.
Basically the K-star changes the timing throughout the rev range and can be
programmed specifically across the range at any given rev i.e. different
settings for 3-4000 and 4-5000 revs
This allowed the car to run 95 rather than 98 octane and on first set up i lost
9 hp but gained 5 lbft torque but my milage went from 28mpg to 42mpg (imperial)
however i was pinking under load between 4-5000 rpm, running lean and also very
hot. I had reprogrammed 3 months later and i got 8bhp back, lost 2lbft of
torque, lost the pinking,the leaness, the milage dropped back to 33mpg and it
runs a little cooler.
So overall i lost a horse gained some torque which has given better midrange
acceleration (definately noticable) and gained milage. It cost £250 (US$400) to
fit but the differential in prices between 95 and 98 works out that i should
have saved in fuel the cost by about January.

The fuel mapping as i understand it is another £250 and basically can be set up
to provide the optimium fuel at any given time and it it is my understanding
that it is very effective however you really need to be developing a fair bit of
power already. Something for the future for me as i am now beginning to
seriously start power mods.

Andy
91 Scala

"Joshua Strait" <joshua13s@hotmail.com> on 06/10/99 13:11:47