Re: California front plates - yikes!

In a message dated 10/5/1999 1:09:20 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
ntovsen@piper.hamline.edu writes:

<< There is a HUGE difference between knowing there is a small
 liklihood that if I do something illegal, I'll get caught, and living in a
 constant fear that if I don't put my blinker on 100 ft. before a turn I
 WILL get punished. As I said, 90% of the people do the right thing 90% of
 the time, even when there's no cops around. I'd rather deal with the 10%
 who are idiots (which, I realize, risks my own life at times) than live my
 life with someone watching me 24 hours a day, waiting for me to screw up.
 Maybe that's just me... >>

    I am in certain agreement with you here.  While I certainly understand
the necessity of the traffic police for the fact that there are an enormous
amount of embicilic retards out there who drive accordingly to thier
mentality, I am avidly against this big brother type of philosophy that the
police have seemed to adopted towards the masses of drivers.

    I somewhat go back and forth with the stoplight cameras ordeal.  On one
hand I think that it is nothing short of instrumental in nailing those jerks
that feel free to sail on through a light that is clearly red and has been
for a few seconds.  But in the city I live in, the news report that showed
the stoplight sting operation was nothing but a display of the police
officers "gestapo" like tactics used to pull over what were, for the
majority, people who were driving through the intersection when the light had
just turned yellow.  You have all experienced the fine line between being
easily capable of stopping at a yellow light, and a freshly yellow light that
would be unsafe to attempt to stop for.

    As far as photo radar is concerned, I think that it is absolute bunk.  It
is nothing that is safety oriented in any way as far as I can tell... just a
revenue thing.  What good does it do to get some ticket two weeks from the
incident when you were not even stopped and verbally warned by an officer?
At least when you are pulled over by a live officer, you can stop and think
"hmm, maybe I should watch my speed or be more assertive."  Whereas a photo
radar ticket just makes you think you are being spied on the whole time, thus
leading back to the big brother idea.

    Please understand that I am in complete appreciation for the police that
protect our society and tip my hat to them for being there when I am in
danger.  I just have some SERIOUS issues with a good bit of thier tactics and
procedures.

    Just my thoughts

Ben
88 16v Scirocco