RE: call me stupid but what is jetronic?

Mark Madison wrote:
>was jetronic standard for 8vs in 1985?

yes

>the engine in my donor car seems way too nice to be that old
>and I noticed that the control box said jetronic on it.

The box that says "Jetronic" on it is the K-Jetronic "brains". I don't
know much of it's function, but I figure that it mainly processes the
signals from the oxygen sensor, and deals with other engine management
details. Very simple system, mostly mechanical, and not much "brains".
This system continued through the KE-Jetronic (CIS-E) system and after
that it was replaced by Digifant and Motronic. These were much more
complete engine management systems.

>is this the actual engine that came in it or is it from a newer
>car?

if the engine looks good, it might also *be* good. You'd have to run it
or take it apart to find out. Do a compression check, etc.
The engine might be newer, check the stamp below spark plug wire #4 on
the block. It should say JH and then some numbers. That was stock in 85