RE: 2.oL

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Scott,

I am in the middle of doing this now.  I just bought an ABA block, pulled
the head off my 1.8 16V donor motor and am preparing to make it all work.

It is obvious that the gear on the top of the oil pump, the intermediate
shaft and the crankshaft timing belt gear all have to be swapped from the
donor 16V block to the ABA as there is no ditributor to drive the oil pump
on a 16V car and the timing belt gears are much wider for the 16V timing
belt.  The ABA block has a much better oil pump so I am trying to take it
apart and just swap in the top gear part.  The 16V block has a cool aluminum
crankcase breather whereas the ABA has a cheapo plastic one so I am swapping
out the breather also.

When you look at a 16V block and the ABA block side by side, there is a huge
difference in pistons.  The 16V pistons are almost flat, with a little "V"
in the top for the exaust valves to "clear".  The pistons also come up just
over the top of the block when at the top of the stroke.  The entire
combustion chamber for the 16V is in the head.  The ABA pistons are slightly
dished on top and leave about 2mm of space when at the top of the stroke and
the head has a much smaller combustion chamber than the 16V.  (I don't know
if this means that a 16V head on the ABA block is not an interference motor
or not.  I will have to loosely bolt the head on and try to turn the cams to
see).

I believe what all this means is that in order to raise compression you will
have to "shave" the 16V head to maximum amount to get compression over 9:1
and use a thinner headgasket if one is available.  I am still looking into
this.  Forged pistons aren't an option for me either.

I am now struggling with how to set it up to run P/S without the A/C which
is a whole nuther hassle to find the right brakets although I hear that
there were some Audi's imported with no A/C and power steering and those
brakets might be available in wrecking yards in parts of the country where
A/C isn't a necessity. (anyone got one of these...or got access to yards
that might have them???)

I don't think that if you are using the stock 16V intake manifold, that you
will any fitment problems.  The extra 16mm of height shouldn't interfere
with the hood and there is plenty of clearance for the throttle body from
the rain tray.  You will need to run a CIS-E setup and probably the knock
sensor ignition if you get the compression above 9.5:1

Hope this helps

Brian Honnold
'78 Ragtop