Re: Lubricating or Replacing speedo cable ?

rhl@student.umass.edu wrote:

> To lubricate the speedo, just take off the trim panel that is located
> beneath the steering wheel (granted i have done this on an 86
> 8valve and on an 88 16v, i think 82 is MkI right? but i think this will
> work anyways) When you get the trim piece off look up under the
> dash right behind the speedo is a cable, to get the cable off the pin
> just sqeeze the two tabs together and the cable will come off. the
> cable itself is a small square metal thing hidden withing that plastic
> cover(with the tabs that you sqeezed) all you have to do is take
> some common grease(lube whatever) and spread it in the inside of
> that plastic sheath, and on the pin that is still on the back of the
> speedo, then press the cable back onto the back of the speedo,
> until you feel it click on, and viola you ar allset.
> Hmm, i hope these directions made sense, if you have any
> questions feel free to ask, as i have done it 10-15 times (every
> month or so mine gets noisy again  :)
> Rob Luhrs
> 88 16v

Thanks but I decided to get a "2nd Opinion" so I went to a local shop
that
sells VW parts and they said that there was special grease that was used
for
that, and another "Auto Parts Store" Confirmed that...

 |   Etop Udoh     | SOUTHERN POLYTECHNIC STATE UNIVERSITY [89-##] |
 |  P.O. Box 4234  |  Http://www.mindspring.com/~s_druid           |
 |  Marietta, Ga   |  Http://www.freeyellow.com/members7/sdruid    |
 |     30061       |  Http://members.xoom.com/s_druid              |
 |-----------------|  Http://sdruid.iwarp.com                      |
 |              Http://www.geocities.com/siliconvalley/bit/9122    |
 |                 |   ******* s_druid@mindspring.com *******      |
 | Hey Americans, where are your "REAL" TV Camera's for the TRUTH  |