Re: Overheating in Traffic was: I hate N.J. (or at least their highways!)

<x-flowed>One little thing to add. When I have customers bring their cars in and tell
me its "overheating" and I ask them if the radiator cap pops and coolant
everywhere; sometimes they say no and it turns out to be a faulty sending
unit. HTH

>From: T Berk <tberk@mindspring.com>
>To: JLuk77@aol.com
>CC: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
>Subject: Overheating in Traffic was: I hate N.J. (or at least their
>highways!)
>Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 19:29:16 -0800
>
>JLuk77@aol.com wrote:
> >
> > Sorry i just have to rant, i spent about an hour last night in
>traffic...
> > and i almost always start overheating.  ...i have put 3 or 4 radiator
>fan
> > swictches in it so far at least one of them low temp, and they have all
>died
> > within 3-4 months, i think i might need a new fan motor, does this seem
> > make any sense to those of you who are better with electical theory than
>I?
> > TIA
> > Josh Lukasik
> > 88 16v 2.0
>
>Our cars should not overheat at all. They often do though and this is
>the hard bite.
>
>Things to check;
>Air bubble stuck in block due to not backfilling coolant mix during
>refill. use the upper radiator hose to fill the block.
>Small leak in system, prob only when up to full temp, that won't allow a
>full 15psi coolant pressure. This will allow the boiling point of the
>mix to lower closer to 100c. Not good. Higher pressure = higher boiling
>point.
>Water pump worn and coolant not flowing well, under speed there is
>additional cooling going on.
>Fan windings/Ext wires _could_ be raising the resistance high enough to
>burn out the weak link; the thermo switch. (You can rewire it directly
>to the battery neg - switch - fan - battery pos if you like) But, if the
>fan is running most all the time to keep the motor cool then the switch
>may just being wearing out due to a too high duty cycle, ya think?
>
>Questions for ya, esp as we go into the Winter in the N Hemisphere
>Coolant flush & renewal?
>Thermostat was replaced then too, right? With a good OEM brand?
>Coolant is rather fresh & is 70/30 to 50/50 mix w/ distilled water,
>right? (Phosphate free if you redo it)
>Your car ever go into the shop? One with equipment to sniff the exhaust
>and properly set the fuel to air mix? What about your timing? Might be
>off.
>
>Thems my thinks, Fellas did I get it all?
>TBerk
>
>--

Chris DeLong
ICQ#45030867
Seattle, WA USA
'80 16V Rag
'82 GLI (with a severely mangled trunk lock thanks to the fucking thieves!)
'80 'Vert
'61 17 Window
'78 Scirocco