Re: MKI 16v swap

<x-flowed>>I have a question for all of you who have done 16v
>swaps.  Where did you put the computers?  Will both
>the knock sensor box and the jetronic box fit where
>the stock 16v mkII stuff fits under the windshield on
>the drivers side?  It looks like a tight fit.  I want
>to know b4 we plasma cut a whole in the rain tray.

I put a 1.8l in my '81 Scirocco. Both computers fit in the rain tray. The
CIS-E computer (the big one), I put in the space where the old ICU was
(between the wiper motor and the left side of the car), and the Knock Sensor
box fit nicely piggybacked to the coil. As in.. If the coil is on the main
engine compartment, the holes used to mount it there also fit the hole
spacing on the knock box. The knock box uses the same mounting holes, except
in the rain tray, not the engine compartment. There.. I finally said it..
heh.. There's three holes, the bottom and middle, I used for the coil, and
the bottom and top I used for the knock box. I think this is how stock Mk2
16v's were set up. My harness was from a Jetta, so there was slack harness
left over.

>also did anyone run into hood clearance problems.  the
>throttle body has 1/8" clearance.  It is ok now but
>what happens when you romp on it.  We don't want to
>put any dents in a decent MKI hood.

The ball on top of the TB was used for the cruise control on the Jetta, but
I just hooked the Scirocco's stock throttle cable up to that. I did get the
dremel out and cut away at a little bracing on the inside of the hood in
order for the hood to close and pedal to work correctly. Regrettably, my car
hasn't run yet, so I don't know if revs bang the engine against the hood. I
did, however, use very hard front and rear engine mounts, reducing the
movement of the engine greatly.

HTH,

-Dave
'81 Scirocco 16v