RE: Speaker Install

Benjamin,

I took some pics of my 5.25" door panel install at Cincinnati last
spring. Jody was supposed to do a how-to for scirocco.org, but I think if
I don't hear from him soon, I'll be doing it without him (WHERE ARE YOU
JODY??).

Anyway, you can see the pics in raw form
<http://www.hamline.edu/~ntovsen/stereo> (is that how to do it
Tosha???). Specifically, check out door_cutout.jpg, which is the only
cutting I needed to do. cut the top and bottom edges, then grab it with a
pliers and twist it off. When we did it originally, we screwed the speaker
into the back of the stock location in the plastic. I just recently had
some help from a guy at a local shop, and re-did
the job by mounting a thin piece of MDF into the area you see in the
picture, and cut a hole for the speaker, mounting it to the MDF in the
steel door instead of the plastic. Sealing the whole area with a couple
layers of duct tape created a poor-man's sealed enclosure, which improved
bass a LOT.

I have Rockford Fanatic X components, and they have a huge magnet, which
fit with no trouble. The door panel has no visible modifications. Stealth,
baby!

It's a lot simpler than my long-winded dissertation might suggest. Check
the pics, and come to Cincinnati to see it for real!

Neal