Fw: Timing/serpintine belt?

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Chris,

When your timing belt breaks while the car is running there is a chance that
you have bent a valve or 4.  First, you have to find out (now that you have
it put back together as per the Bentley and it won't start) if the motor is
an interference motor or not.  If not, for your sake I hope it isn't, the
next thing you have to do is recheck the timing marks.  If it isn't a 16v or
a distributorless system, the intermediate shaft needs to be lined up also
since the distributor runs off of this shaft (so does the oil pump, but it
doesn't need to be in time).  If all the marks are aligned correctly, there
is still a possibility of having the cam or crank 180deg off.  So, you have
to check ALL the timing marks.  Crank motor over until #1 cyl is TDC, pop
the cap and make sure that the rotor is pointing to #1 (there is a mark on
the distributor, if not, it should point to the #1 plug coming from the
cap).  Next,check the TDC mark on the flywheel.  If everything is lined up
and the timing marks line up, it should start.  If not, you need to do other
diagnostics, then you need to start with the basics, spark, fuel, etc.  Hope
This Helps!!!  Let us know what happens!!

Dave