Re: Dpstck Tube & Injector Port Question

Bill Scarince wrote:

> Two questions to the list:
>
> 1)  My 2L block rolled over yesterday (stupid stupid!!) and the dipstick tube
> got crushed.  I can transplant the one from my 1.8 block, but I want to know how
> to get it out.  It looks like I can use a round rod and drive it out from the
> inside of the block.  I wanted to confirm this before I start beating on things.

While I don't know that the 1.8L and 2.0L dipstick tube are the same,
the 1.8L does just pop out, held in place by an o-ring.

> 2) When I removed the lower intake manifold from the 16V head, I noticed that
> the plastic-looking sleeves that hold the injectors are cracked.  Some of the
> cracks travel almost all the way back up to the face of the manifold flange.  I
> can find no mention of these in Bentley.  Should they be replaced?  Do they just
> press out?  How do they get cracked?  What are they really called?

They are called "injector seats" and you will want to replace them, and
the o-rings on the injector bodies.

The injector seats are 2-piece on the 16v. The top is brass and has an
internal 13 mm hex that you can use to remove them (Call Snap-On, Sears
don't stock one...) The lower half is bakelight plastic and brittles
with heat and age. They just snap over the bottom lip of the brass
insert.

Note there is also an o-ring which seats between the plastic lower and
the manifold when you replace them, as well as two o-rings per injector
(3 total per cylinder).

Be careful when inserting the injectors into the new seats as they are
prone to crack if you push against the side wall and not straight down.
I use 2-stroke premix to lube them (mostly because I have some handy).

I find an open-end 12 mm wrench makes a good driver to seat the
injectors into the manifold, put the ears around the fuel line on the
nut and tap (!!!) them in until the sound gets solid, indicating they
are bottomed in the manifold.

If you don't replace them you will have never-ending idle gremlins, as
with any intake air leak.

HTH,

tiAn
87 16V