Re: velocity slip diff. att. Shawn Meze

On Wed, 10 Nov 1999 10:24:06 -0800 Nathan Malone <nmalone@sumagroup.com>
writes:
>Hey Shawn<
>i heard you had a bad experience with the
>velocity limited slip differential upgrade, I am
>considering looking in to geting one, untill I can
>save up for a quiafe. Is this a good ideah ?
>or should I just live with spinning one tire every
>time I go to take off or it rains, untill I can save up
>for a quaife, which will be quite a long time.
>
>TIA,
>Nathan

The bottom line is, there is no substitute for a Quaife diff. However,
considering the cost involved, the Velocity stage 2 diff kit is a great
alternate. You figure that the cost of purchase is about all your going
to spend unless you have a shop install it. Either way, it wont be
anywhere near as expensive for a quiafe ($1000 + complete tranny
rebuild.).

Now, as far as who should use the Stage 2 diff kit, heres the only
criteria besides having the right tranny.
If you have a stock suspension then its OK.
if you have a lowered car and the tranny has 100mm flanges, then its OK.
If you have the 90mm flanges Don't install the caps that the bolt runs
thru. Just install everything else and install new stock caps. Otherwise
you will have problems.

Basically the 90mm flanges are just a little shallower than the 100mm
flanges. (Compare them next to each other if you ever get the chance) The
difference in depth is what causes the axles to make contact with the
diff kit and basically besides it unscrewing the hex bolt, it chews up
the axle splines and its a huge mess.
there's the deal.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and