Re: On Dash - Fan Blower Switch needed

>I have a/c, the a/c turns on at 1 and 2 the blower
>stays dead. at 3 and 4 the a/c dies and the fan blower kicks on...  does
>any know if the switch is indeed the problem?

There are two things at work here -

1) the a/c compressor is controlled by a little tiny switch that is
contacted at the "norm" and "max" a/c positions of the selection lever.  The
whole assembly has a Yugo-like build quality to it (all 3 Sciroccos I've
owned have had trouble here), and it's possible that the switch isn't making
good contact.  I find that it's sometimes helpful to pull that assembly out
and ensure that it's not bent funny, not too loose (you have to get pretty
imaginative in fixing the latter problem), etc.

2) the fan switch gets hot and melts a little inside.  You can actually
disassemble the thing and sometimes see where molten plastic has oozed over
the contacts you're having trouble with.  Sometimes you can scrape them
enough to get them functional, but I think the new ones are cheap enough to
make the rehab effort not worth it.

Good Luck,
Jeff
'82 8v