Non-Scirocco '80 Truck for sale $2k? NOT!

I saw this white 1980 truck in Palo Alto for sale so I called to see
what the owner was selling it for. He held to the $2000 he had on the
sign, (it was faded because no one will buy it at that price), so I
asked him why was it worth that much. He said he works at an import shop
himself, (Note: Not a VW repair place, an Import shop.) He also
mentioned he had put a new 'muffler' on it, it had new tires, blah,
blah, blah. I'm thinking all the stuff he put on it I'd be taking off
anyway so wtf.

I'll be Blue Booking it online just for fun but any body have thoughts
on what a decent offer might be? Body is semi straight, not show
quality. Has white overspray from a few cheap touchups. Interior is that
funky faded blue color (Bleah) It has a camper shell on it (bonus) The
OD stopped working well around 70K so...

tia,
TBerk