Re: (crazy engine)

In a message dated 5/26/99 7:40:13 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
greenchester@scirocco.zzn.com writes:

> You could fit my whole car in there with all that extra space! No but
really
> check out how first it has an overflow tank, second it goes directly to the
> block and third it looks like somesort of radiator hoses go to the base of
> the carb. Some sort of pre-warm up? And that radiator is the size of most
oil
> coolers, must be a 1.1 liter. And waht do you think that black box between
> the batery and overflow tank is? Washer fluid?

If you notice the "overflow" tank has a VW pressure cap on it.  The tank is
pressurized and really is part of the whole cooling system as opposed to just
an overflow.  Because it's pressurized, you can basically plumb it to
anywhere on the engine.

The hose going to the base of the carb is for hot coolant to heat the
manifold, this gives better fuel distribution by vaporizing(hot) the fuel
better as it goes into the engine.  Quite common(ever split open a carburated
Detroit motor).

That really is a small radiator.  I don't think it's a 1.1 liter engine
though.  The 1.1 had a cross flow head with the exhaust coming out the front
of the head.  It also had a cam driven distributor sticking out of the end of
the head(like a 16V).  Also the 1.1 was more upright, almost forward leaning,
in the engine bay.

I think the black box is a washer fluid reservoir.  The early models had an 8
liter(2+ gallons) reservoir. It was huge because some models came with
headlight washers too.

What I think is this guy(gal) transplanted a 1.5+ liter engine into a rocco
that had a 1.1 in it.  He(she) left the radiator from the 1.1.

That's what I know.  :-)

-Dick-
78 Scirocco
Original Owner