clutch probs

I had a look last night and saw that the as the clutch cable goes over the
airbox it seems to have melted a groove on it. The cable looks fine though.
Should the cable be going underneath? Maybe the cable is getting hot and
not moving freely?

The cable is adjusted as far up as possible ie. the threaded part of the
outer cable (with the locking nut on it) seems as long as it can be. When
the clutch wears, does the biting point move towards the floor? because if
it moves away then there's no adjustment left as he biting point is quite
high at the moment. I tried starting on a hill in 5th, even with high revs
I stall. Presumably that's good, ie clutch isn't slipping?

More help is very appreciated.

cheers, Spat '87, 8V Scala.