High RPM misfire

When coming back from the ND show, I experienced a new
problem on my '81 when getting on the highway.  At high rpm's,
usually starts acting up at 5K, the car will misfire suddenly and
then clear out.  It then proceeds to misfire several times in a row,
clear out and do it again so much so that I begin losing speed and
have to up shift.  If I don't upshift, the rpm's will gradually fall even
though my inputs haven't changed.  Around town, the car runs fine,
but it's only at high rpm's that it begins to misfire.  It doens't do it
all the time either.  I've checked all the cap, rotor, and wires and
they seem fine upon inspection.  One other characteristic is that
the misfire doesn't change under load or sitting still reving the
engine.  After checking all the connections, cap, rotor and wires, it
seemed to have went away, but after about 5 miles of driving, it
started up again.  Any other ideas?  Could and injector be acting
up at high rpm's?  Or might it be the CD unit?  I'm really stumped
on this one.
                   Kris Rayner
                1984 VW Scirocco
    1981 VW Scirocco S - Soon to be a 16V :)-
     "I do nothing in moderation but work."
               -Charles Dickens
   http://www.fix.net/~trzracing/web/scirocco.htm