Re: More Woes...

OK Norm
here's where to start

check for spark.
not too hard.. but you need a helper.

get someone to sit in the driver's seat.
get some VERY insulated pliers and hold the wire from the coil near the
engine block.
about 1/8 inch or so should do it.
have them crank.
does it arc?
if it does.
check the wires to the spark plugs in a similar fashion except hold them
near the distributor cap.
they should all arc.
if this works.
you got spark and move on to fuel.

first thing is first.
check the fuel pump relay this thing is a major pain in the ass, of the 11
VWs I have owned.. it was bad
in five when I bought the car.  people just never checked it. or didn't know
to check it

you need a jumper wire to test this.
with the car off pull the fuel pump relay.
jumper across the two sockets that are facing like this.
I think they are 85 and 15.. but wont bet on it because I don't have my
bentley handy.

-------        |

with the car off you should instantly hear the fuel pump.
if you don't.. its wiring either from power from the battery or wiring to
the pump.
if you do.... then test the relay.

put the relay back in.
turn your key until the car powers (NOT FAR ENOUGH TO CRANK THOUGH).
when its quiet you should hear the pump run for a second or two then shut
off.
brrrr   then nothing.
do it again... do you hear it for a second or two?
if you do the relay appears to be working   if you don't... its the relay.
or some wiring to the relay.

the relay works off a signal from the coil
if it gets a pulse it will run the pump.  if not.. it won't
I had a car where this wire (a special resistance wire) was burnt out.
this wire is clear with a purple stripe on some cars if not all, talking VW
scirocco here...   anyone can confirm this?
this is the wire that comes from the coil to the relay.

spark?  good??
fuel good?

I'd start checking ignition timing / distributor in properly? etc etc.
timing belt ok?  did it slip?
is there an air leak?  all rubber boots and hoses intact and properly seated
and connected?

hope this helps you get on the right track .

any questions... ask the list.. but please try to be specific.. there's tons
that can cause the car to run improperly.  with the right details we can all
collectivly figure it out.

Mark Madison
85 8v Scirocco
85 8v GTI