Re: Tighten _all_ the bolts

--- Brett Van Sprewenburg <brett@netacc.net> wrote:
I can
> now diagnose what a loose control arm feels like...like I
> mean
> both rear 15mm nuts finger tight and ready to fall
> off...like
> the 22mm front bar was doing more to hold the rear of the
> control
> arm still then the mounting bolts...bleech.

Whoa!  That's scary!  I had a *very* similar experience a
couple months ago myself.  I had the '85 for about two
weeks and it started to pull to one side while accelerating
and then dart the opposite way when I'd shift.  This got
*rapidly* worse in the course of two days.  Turns out the
front bolt for the passenger side control arm backed itself
almost completely out.  (Hangin' on by *maybe* 2 threads)
If the car didn't have a 16v lower stress bar I would
likely have wound up in the ditch.  Glad you discovered the
problem before it became tragic.

===
Daun Yeagley
'79 Scirocco
'85 Scirocco 8v
'88 Scirocco 16v
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."  - Dave Barry