78 rocco in dallas

well, I looked at the 78.  the owner was asking 1k for it.  This car has
been caught in a hail storm.  the roof, hood and fenders are beat to hell.
Interior is very nice (for a 78).  Engine runs seemingly well, starts
easy, idles fine, but makes a horrible noise (either valves backed off, or
wristpin making noise) steering is actually tighter than I would expect,
but not worth 1k.  anyone want it? I'm still looking for a scirocco I
somewhere close enough to dallas I can drive it home.

-Bret