RE: Suspension question Oversteer/Understeer?

--- Neal Tovsen <ntovsen@piper.hamline.edu> wrote:
> How does the tire pressure thing work? I haven't done any auto racing, but
> if you're experiencing oversteer, you want more traction on the rear to
> balance the front, right? Wouldn't /lowering/ the rear air pressure (or
> raising the front) make the tires more supple/flexible, thus giving more
> traction?
>
> I noticed that both Andre' and Owen speak of raising the rear pressure.
> Considering that, IIRC, both you guys have racing experience, I'd believe
> what you say before my above logic. Could you explain how this works?

Depending on how much you screw with rear tire pressure, raising rear pressure
will INCREASE oversteer - but the pressure would have to be rather high - 40+
lbs.  The same will happen if the rear tire pressure is too low - say around 18
lbs or so.  R-Compount tires have a specific "sweet spot" where 1-2 lbs in
either direction make a dramatic difference.

Street tires are much less sensitive to tire pressures due to their nature -
low heat, low traction.  Race tires are very different b/c they get very sticky
when they get hot, get the picture.
===
Matthew Yip
mgyip@yahoo.com