trim black...

>From: Sean Martin <smartin@ntl.sympatico.ca>

>Someone on the list had talked about painting his bumpers and other
trim
>pieces.  Some sort of vinly paint if I recall.  I was thinking of doing
this
>myself this summer.  Just take off the bumpers and all for a day of
cleaning
>and painting.
>
>I can't remember who it was that was talking about it.  If you are out
there
>please speak up, and fill us in.
>

>Sean Martin
>87 8V

HERE!  (raising hand)

When i get one of my $100 wunder-vws, I always remove as much of the
black exterior trim as possible. the flares, grille, rear fill plate,
whatever!  This makes it easier to buff the car out, and you can vinyl
paint the trim.  Clean the plastic buts in Simple Green first, and let
them completely dry.  Then spray on some vinyl paint that you can get at
any PEPBOYS (or similar) store!  Give it a few coats, and it'll look
great!

TIP: If you're gonna paint the chrome VW emblem, or the chrome strips in
the bumper (a la Jetta I), the paint wont stick by itself.  I painted
mine, then drove to CA from NJ, and by TX it was chrome again.

Scuff the VW emblem with some fine sandpaper first. For the bumpers,
electrical tape and a heat gun looks good, too.

CHRIS CHEMIDLIN
http://www.spredhaus.com
http://www.angelfire.com/nj/spredhaus
58 Type1 Ragtop