Clutch cable question(please reply ASAP)

Friends, Rocconians, Countrymen: Lend me your ears(or at least some
knowledge.)

Today's paper carried an unusually happy thing: A scirocco for sale!!!! For
the low price of $225! The ad says, 'needs clutch work' Naturally, I called
as soon as my noggin processed this info. I drove over to look at this car.
The problem, at least to my nonmechanically inclined eye, was the fact that
the clutch cable seemed to be broken. At least, the adjuster wheel was at
an odd angle. Having my 'rocc there, we sprang to it, opened the hood and
compared. Clutch cables, that is. Perverts. Anyway, I then checked freeplay
as per Haynes and Bentley, and even my old copy of how to keep your rabbit
alive. I could push the pedal at least 4 inches before meeting resistance.
Now, considering the adjuster appearing to be broken, could a new clutch
also be in order? I obviously hope not, as I would like to adopt this
'rocco and save it from the boneyard, seeing as it runs okay, and it has no
p/s or a/c, which is what I want. It also has some body damage, but I have
replacement parts in my basement. And no, I did not tell him that. I told
him it appeared that the cable was the only prob, and he could fix it and
drive it, but he seemed uninterested, as he has 4 other vehicles. Should I
grab it?? I am leaning towards it, but would like an opinion or two. Sorry
for the length.

Zach

http://www.discover-net.net/~zach/index.html

http://www.discover-net.net/~zach/index.html