Re: 16V springs into a Mk1?

Steven Roth wrote:

> Has anyone ever tried to install 16V Scirocco springs into a Mk1 Scirocco?
> Are the upper spring caps different, are the upper strut bearings
> different?  Do you need to use the 16V strut tubes?  Any help would be
> apprecited. The 16V spring diameter decreases at the top of the spring
> unlike non-16V springs.  I'm wondering if this will cause a problem when the
> spring is used in my '78 struts.

Well I've been through the opposite of this.. when I bought my 16v, the
previous owner had replaced his suspension (Konis I believe with whomever's
springs) with completely SHOT Bilsteins (since replaced under lifetime
warranty thanks to the Potterman) and Mk1 springs.  The results were NOT
good!  The springs weren't right for the car at all.  Not sure if they just
didn't fit, or if the spring rates were too funky, or <likely> both.  Amazing
what a proper set of H&Rs and fresh Bilstein Sports, plus Neuspeed swaybars
did for it!  :0

--
Kevin Collins
Huntington Beach, CA