Fwd: [non-rocco] GTI VR6 electrical problem, please help!!

check the battery wires before you do anything.  they may be corroded.

---- Begin included message ----
I believe some of you listers own VR6 cars of some sorts, GTIs
included, so I ask you this.  My sisters 97 GTI VR6 has a major
electrical problem.  After making a stop at a local grocery store, and
being gone for only 10 minutes, she tried to start the car and everying
on the dash powered up as normal, but then she heard a click, and
everything went dim, very dim, and all the idiot lights started
flashing.  In the background she could hear something running that
normally wasnt there.  The car failed to turn over.  You might first ask
that the battery was dead, but no, I tried to jump the car and nothing
worked.  The battery does not stay at one voltage, it jumps around
between 8 and 9.5 volts, with nothing on.  The alarm was also wigging
out.  The LEDs would not be lit, yet when you open the door the alarm
would go off.  The alarm would also go off as soon as I hooked up the
jumper cables.  Only thing that crosses my mind is some sort of chip
related deal is fried.  Any suggestions?