Re: fuel mileage

Here are some of the things that were wrong with my Scirocco when I
bought it.  Mine is an '88 16v that had about 125000 on it.

-Both transmission axle seals were leaking oil
-power steering rack was leaking a lot of fluid
-ignition distributor was leaking oil
-various electrical gremlins/ needed new fuel pump
-flex coupling in downpipe was shot
-front and back engine mounts needed replacing
-parking brake cables were frozen/ then a rear caliper froze
-odometer didn't work/ had too take PO word on mileage (I came to find
out he was a lying shitbag on a lot of points)
-there may be a couple of other odds and ends I'm forgetting

    If this sounds like a campaign to deter you from buy a 16v, it's
not.  It cost approx. $2500.00 over the past couple of years to get my
car in shape but in my humble opinion it was worth it.  It depends what
you want.  My VW is very reliable now but I had to nurse it back to
health, so to speak.  Just prepare yourself for anything.  My car was in
excellent shape on the outside, but I think mechanically it was rode
hard and put away wet, and if I knew then what I know now I could have
used a lot of these points to make him come down on the price.  So
please check these few things.  It is easy to check their condition and
it may save you some $$$.

Josh.
'88 16v