MK1 Repair update (long)

Hey all,

Just thought I would give an update on the work I am doing on the 'rocco. It has been like two weeks now and I really miss driving it. I have been doing some major work to get it ready for the trip out west. Some of the parts have been sitting in my closet and I don't really want to move more than I have to.

Alright so as of tonight I put in a new steering rack, with new tie rods and bearings in the steering column. Pretty much all new steering. I also got the new clutch in today and the trans back in. An observation while taking the steering rack off. Part of the shifting linkage is bolted to the steering rack and while my shifting was fine, the bolts holding this bracket were pretty loose. This, I feel, would cause looseness in the shifting. I was probably just used to it. I replaced all of the shifting components four years ago, and it is amazing how much gunk sticks to everything down there. It is all clean now!

Clutch was a piece of cake, well that is after getting some really hard bolts off. In all of this process, I have found several things that the mechanics that worked on it before messed up or just did not care about. They were little things like lots of missing washers (they really make it easier to get bolts off). They did not replace the small cover plate between the trans and engine. The one way up there above the pass. CV joint and I feel this one reason why my clutch went bad a 30,000 miles.  My pressure plate was all scored and wavy. The flywheel side was fine though. No oil leaking. What else could it have been. I also remember when I got the car back after the new engine they didn't put on the lower cover plate. (They by the was was EIP. While I had, what I feel is, better service than most, I will never go back there again. I was young and had no clue.) I really hope they did better with other work they did.

So now I am waiting for a seal between the MC and brake booster. Dealer has taken like two weeks to find this part. Putting in a new brake booster. I guess this will happen this week.

Had the worst time on Sat getting someone to press in my engine mount. They were either closed or could not do it. I am also sure the hangover did not help. I stopped by one of the dealers in the area just to see what they would say and they wanted to charge me $65 to press it in!!! WTF. This guy was such an pansy ass. He did not want to touch the engine mount, got to keep those hands clean!. I could not believe it. Finally got it done, paid too much but had to get it done. I forgot which way it went in and looked at it today and thought it was upside down. It was right, thank you.

Well after the MC is back in I will change all the brake fluid. Put redline in the trans and change the engine oil. Then I am replacing the dashboard. Have had one I got from the junkyard like three years ago. At this time I will make sure all the electrical connection are sound.

I am really taking my time on this whole thing. The last time I pulled and engine or trans was back in High School and was in my '69 Bug. I had that down to like under 30 minutes. This is a little different.

Thanks to all who helped with questions concerning the clutch job. Not hard, just time.

mark hausler
'81 scirocco s
'94 toyo 4x4
Get your free Scirocco e-mail!!  your_name@scirocco.zzn.com