Re: Seats and Springs

On Sat, 06 Mar 1999 10:20:54 PST "Joshua Strait" <joshua13s@hotmail.com>
writes:

 >Should I just get new oem strut bearings or is there something better
out there??

Better? Hmm, I dunno about better. I do know that when I bought a set of
Mexican made strut bearings, they lasted me 3 months before the bearings
were sagging badly and clattering again. Don't ask me why, I Don't know
how the german made VS the Mexican made strut bearings can differ in
quality, I just know they do from what I experienced. I paid a little
more for my German made strut bearings, but they've lasted me a much
longer time. Worth the cost in my world.

>neuspeed says that thier poly strut bearings are not for street use.
>How about the rear shock mount bushing?

I have rear shock Poly bushings. I didn't notice a difference other than
the old bushings were probably original and so soft they squeaked and
groaned. I figured it might stiffen the rear a little more for autox use
but the effect is negligible.
I recently installed rear poly mount axle beam bushings which also Don't
feel much different to me. Its just a little stiffer. Well, not stiff,
more like rigid. No slop in the rear like before.
I did have a problem with the right side axle bushing squeaking when it
was cold. (We had a cold spell here, frost on the windshield.)  Removed
them and greased them up a little and ive not heard anything since.

>Will a poly bushing be a good upgrade or bad?

Definitely good. I say thins only because they will last a lifetime VS
the stock rubber bushings.

>How about squeaking that is usually  associated with poly bushings, will

>it be too annoying??  How about ride quality??

Ride quality for me remained the same. As I said, it did seem to tighten
the suspension in the rear a little but nothing obviously noticeable. At
he very least, its good piece of mind knowing that I have new bushings
back there and when I open my hatch, there's these kewl looking red
bushings to look at. :)

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and